Saturday, November 7, 2009

parrotheads

Just when I thought it might be safe to get back in the water, the ParrotHeads have come to town.

ParrotHeads are the faithful followers of the legend of Jimmy Buffet and they're here in Key West for their 18th annual, four day "Meeting of the Minds".

It's a four day congress of colorful coconuts, complete with I.D. badges, a scavenger hunt and 5k walk/run, class clown and silly hat competitions, a street festival, lots of libation and live music (that mostly sounds suspiciously like "Margaritaville") and, of course, the Golden Coconut award.

Behind all the fun, an anxious under-buzz energizes the faithful like Christians waiting for the second coming. . .
"Is Jimmy coming?
, When's Jimmy coming??, Jimmy's coming!!!"


. . .and the truth is, sometimes Jimmy does show up.
(gives the ParrotHeads a better batting average than the Christians, aye?)


Now me, I'm not big on signing up, sing-a-longs, silly hats and secret handshakes. . .

. . .but I'll admit that I allowed a Jimmy Buffett album to swing my decision to move on down to Paradise and, tune by tune on a scale, the weight of the Jimmy tunes I like, weighs more than the ones I don't.

So I won't, chime in and pile on with the ParrotHead detractors (and I know a few) wailing "get a life!" from the wings.

After all, they're just looking to have a little fun and at the end of the day, it's only rock and roll but I like it.

No comments: