Wednesday, February 24, 2010

judy, judy, judy

Yes yes, you knew it was coming, this pretty little ball of allergenic fluff is Judy, my neighbor's cat.

Every afternoon, as if the gong for the call to mecca goes off simultaneously in their heads, Judy and Maxine (my feline life form) assume their positions. Maxine on one of my porch chairs and Judy, as pictured here, on her windowsill; and there they'll stay, staring at each other from their respective sides of the street for hours until the mail carrier comes around or it's four o'clock feeding time, whichever comes first.

Now when it comes to feeding time, I never have to call Maxine. I kid you not, she can tell time. If I sleep through her time for breakfast, she'll wake me up. If it's noon-time for tuna, she'll interrupt whatever project I'm working on and when it's 4pm, from wherever she's been all afternoon, she's back in the kitchen with alternating looks from me to the fridge, from me to the fridge until I stop whatever I'm doing and get it done for her.

Judy, on the other hand, either can't or more likely doesn't choose to tell time. So every afternoon at just about 4pm, Tanya, her owner/my neighbor, comes out and calls,
"Judy, Judy, Judy"
.
Well think of me as you will, a master at free association, a multi-dimensional thinker or a pretty bright guy with too much time on his semi-retired hands but, "Judy, Judy, Judy" brought Cary Grant to mind.

Now I know Cary Grant never said, "Judy, Judy, Judy" anymore than Bette Davis said, "Peter Peter, Peter" but the attributions are there and it seemed, on this rainy afternoon, worth five minutes of pondering.

Rich Little admired Grant's sense of humor about it:
'Cary said [Little imitating CG],
"Where is this 'Juday, Juday, Juday' coming from? I don't know anybody named Juday - Juday - Juday. The only Judy I knew was Judy Garland. And when I saw her, there weren't three of 'em!"
and. . .
During the making of "Charade" Peter Stone used to joke with Grant about "Judy, Judy, Judy." He recalled, "While we were shooting the taxi scene - right near the end of the picture where Audrey's feet are up in his lap and he's massaging them - Cary looked at the camera and said [Stone imitating CG] "Juday, Juday, Juday. There! Now you've got it on film!"

So he gets credit for saying, "Judy, Judy Judy" that he never said; but gets no credit for saying, "Susan, Susan, Susan" which he did say in "Bringing Up Baby" (1938).

I guess there's no tellin' which way mythology's gonna roll. It almost makes you wonder about Dionysus, Horus and Jesus.

No comments: