Sunday, May 31, 2009

breton fisherman's prayer

The "Key West Magic Moment" that happened last Friday (May 29th) involved my Netflix account.

I had been looking forward to a mindless bit of movie fluff for the weekend but of course I manage the order of my "queue" about as well as I manage my sex life and so an unintended date showed up on an unexpected afternoon. The movie I found in the mailbox was "Thirteen Days" and it's a very well told story of the Cuban missile crises from the perspective of the Kennedy administration.
The "Key West Magic Moment" you ask. . .
Well, later that same day, when I started writing the monthly checks that keep me living in the style to which I am accustomed, I realized that May 29th, 2009 might have been Jack Kennedy's 93rd birthday.

An unintentional JFK movie in the mailbox on JFK's birthday.
. . .some things just make you say, hmmm.

Well, now it's Sunday and I've watched the movie twice and both times a scene, about 3/4 the way through, stuck in my mind. On President Kennedy's desk was a plaque that held this quote from an old Breton fisherman's prayer,

"Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."


I don't know yet why, but that quote resonated in me and I felt compelled to offer this quick sketch of my initial perception of it and share it with all of you.

Blessings - a

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your original post will be two years old in a couple weeks, but...Two things struck me: your serene sailboat and its reflection recalled to me a butterfly, which I thought was a nice little "extra" and did you know your original post was just two days after JFK's birthday? Another "hmmm" as you mentioned regarding earlier timing...