Thursday, October 23, 2008

texture

I spent Sunday afternoon working with my plants. It's like a meditation to get me out of my own head for a while. Anyway, I think the best way to study something is to either draw it, clean it or take it apart. Taking care of the plants is a little of each and they're all loving all the rain we've been getting.

So I'm potting and pruning, pretty close-in visually, when I become aware of the texture of each of the guys. I read somewhere that if all the plants and bugs on the planet went extinct the planet would die but if humans went extinct, the planet would prosper. If you haven't seen it, there was a great documentary on the History Channel called "Life After People" that spelled it out - cool stuff.
Here's a link to a 2 minutes "sneek-peek" of it - LIFE AFTER PEOPLE and if you get into it you can Google it and YouTube has the whole thing in 10 minute video clips.

I haven't voted yet. I like going to Old City Hall on Election Day. I get that "it's a special kind of day" feeling that maybe you get too from Easter or Christmas or any of our bank holidays. They call them Bank Holidays in most of Europe and we call them Federal Holidays but call them anything you want, the energy in the ether is just a little different. So on November 4th I'll make my choice of the "lesser of two weevils", confident in knowing that which ever choice I make, there'll be something new in American Politics, either a black man in the White House or a woman in The House. I'm pretty sure "politically" it won't make much difference which happens but "culturally" it's a pretty cool step forward. A small shift America's zeitgeist.

If you're interested in a good look at politics, religion and banking from an alternative perspective, take a look at "Zeitgeist Addendum". It's pretty easy to watch and playable on Google so you can see it, as they say, "in it's entirety" which takes about 123 minutes.
Here's that link - ZEITGEIST ADDENDUM


There's a lot of shifting going on these days beyond the political stuff too. Nationalizing Banks and privatizing their debt, the end of America's space shuttle program and a Chinese presence in space and Apple Computer created it's first ever crap product (the new MacBooks are. . . wanting). But what I thought was interesting, overall, is how it's all happening at the same time. It's almost like someone put something in the global water supply to trigger a need for upheaval in humans. Glad I am to be living in the Keys where it's easier to be less sour and dour about all the mayhem. Any one I've spoken to up north recently (where everything is serious) has sounded just a bit stressed and edgy. If I can feel it over the phone, I know the energy in the ether up there would give me permanent agita.

There seems to be a wrinkle in the texture of our times, I hope we can get it ironed out.
I wondered if plant consciousness was aware of it. . .
Probably, not so much - more concentrated on photosynthesis than politics and heliotropism than the human condition.
I asked myself, "if the movie theatre on Eaton Street converted entirely to solar power, would they be obliged to change their name to the HelioTropic Cinema"?

1 comment:

Conchscooter said...

Yes. But the solar panels would stretch even the Carper's budget, which is adding another screening room I'm told.
I find the economic meltdown to be an abstraction as well, in a way that takes me by surprise, it seems like a melodrama in someone else's universe.