Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"rainy season" in the keys

I hadn't heard it in so long that when it woke me out of a sound sleep the other day, it took a few seconds before I knew what I was hearing. Rain dancing down on my aluminum porch roofing. Traditionally, we don't get much rain in the first six months of the year and this year practically none. Compared to the rest of Florida we get the lowest amount of average annual rainfall, at about 40 inches a year, and this year I've heard was below well below average. So I welcome the rain dance and so do my plants.

A few months ago I stumbled over a TV show I'd never seen before. No, I didn't break down and buy a boob-tube, I found a website on the computer, a while ago now, called Hulu.com where you can go and watch TV shows and movies for free. The normal routine is, at the end of the day while I'm fixing food or some such, I'll check in with Hulu.com to get a daily dose of Jon Stewart. Well one day I was cuing him up and a promo screen, advertising a show called "24", caught my eye. I'd heard of it, of course, but never saw it so I figured "what the hell" and watched it. . .
and watched it the next week. . .
and the next. . .
and the next. . .
. . .you get the picture.
It's a cliffhanger every week to keep you coming back for more and there's a level of that suspended belief system thing you have to do to get through it but as cop shows go, it's not half bad.
I often think the main dude, Jack Bauer, must be a superhero. Not because he can kill terrorists ten at a time or because he's sure to outlive that pesky pathogen.
I think he's a superhero because the guy can do all that stuff and never needs any sleep. . .
But I do. Goodnight my friends.

No comments: