Wednesday, September 23, 2009

keys'n in election season

It's that time of year again! Early voting is underway, political placards pepper the playing field and the candidates are at the door.

Hells bells, we've got a couple of Charter Amendments, City Commission foot races for Districts 1, 3 and 6 of the and four guys who want to be mayor.

Now me, I don't do the "early voting" thing. I like the ritual of biking off to Old City Hall early in the morning, flirting with the election volunteers and casting my ballot. Then I feel great about it for the rest of the day with that "I voted" sticker stuck to my ball cap.

The way the system is set up, this year I personally get to vote on both Charter Amendments. . .
should the mayoral term be extended from 2 years to 4?
should decisions on selling city owned property be put to a citizen vote?

and I get to vote for the Mayor where the choices are. . .

Morgan McPherson (the incumbent who's gettin' a little long in the tooth but is one of the only two real contenders) click on the picture to visit the candidate's website

Sloan Bashinsky (who allegedly walks and talks with aliens and would probably bring some color to the office) click on the picture to visit the candidate's website

Craig Cates (who seems like an upright white kind of guy and the other real contender offering more bubba-business-as-usual) click on the picture to visit the candidate's website

MongoMike (who I might vote for just because I like his name) click on the picture to visit the candidate's website

. . .but mostly I'm still un-decided.

But because I live in District 1, I can only vote for City Commissioner for District 1. So while I hope Tom Lavender and Clayton Lopez can get it done for Districts 3 & 6, my choices for District 1 are a coin toss between. . .

Tom Milone (who I know personally and find is very interested & enthusiastic) click on the picture to visit the candidate's website


Jimmy Weekley (former five term Mayor who, when he knocked on my door, seemed completely devoid of any real interest or enthusiasm at all) click on the picture to visit the candidate's website

. . .I've more or less made up my mind on that race.

Now, I know what you're thinking. . .
How can I be taking something as serious as voting so lightly? Well, in the first place, it's tourist town politics and at the end of the day, the name of the game is money. In the second place I understand that no single politician can, or wants to, change the game in mid-stream. Whoever gets in, at whatever level, it'll be same-o same-o for a while and then special interest will dictate policy. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. . ."

Election day is October 6 this time around. Get out there and vote your conscience, your convictions or just go rattle the cage; but don't be silent. "We the people" are the last best hope for what's coming down around us.

No comments: