Wednesday, October 7, 2009

election day

Walking the few blocks to Old City Hall and past Sloppy Joe's on my way to vote yesterday, I got a feeling of the "old west". There just seemed to be something just a little "yippie ki-aye" about a saloon and taproom right next door to the polling place.

I mean. . .
Let's say you don't know who you're gonna vote for so, you stop at the bar and pull up a stool for a few cold ones while you're making up your mind. Then you make up your mind and, feeling good and determined you head for the polls and wade through that sea of sign-waving, shouting supporters of the other guy. . .
You're feeling no pain! There could be a ruckus!!

Or. . .
Maybe you knew who you were gonna vote for all along, stepped in the booth, cast your ballot and, feeling really good about it, you stop at the bar afterwards, wearing your civic pride like a badge. And maybe you pull up a stool right next to somebody who voted for the other guy. . .
Soon enough nobody's feeling any pain! There could be a ruckus!!

(I guess ruckus is why, in some states, gin mills are closed on election days.)

My own drinking hasn't been much to brag about for years and I'm allergic to ruckus so I came in and out of the polling place and passed the taproom twice without wetting my whistle once. (maybe next time.)

Anyway, here again are the results on the day. . .
Both Charter Amendments got the deep six, Clayton Lopez carried the day for Bahama Village and Billy Wardlow got it done for District 3 (never mind, he ran mostly unopposed). In my neighborhood, my man Tom Milone lost it to Jimmy Weekley and Craig Cates kicked the holy sh*t out of Morgan McPherson for Mayor.

No comments: