Friday, October 2, 2009

a great soul

For the past few weeks, I've been casually re-reading "Autobiography of a Yogi" written in 1946 by my Guru, Paramahansa Yogananda.
(It's a great read that I highly recommend to you)


Well, as they have so very often happened since I welcomed Yoganandaji into my world, a series of small miracles (call them happy coincidences if you prefer) have occurred during this most recent reading. They've helped me trust that I have a helping hand as I move through this life and most of them are too personal for publication here, but this morning. . .
This morning I picked up my book at Chapter 44 in which Yoganandaji describes a trip to Wardha, India in the summer of 1935 to visit with Gandhi. I read, with interest, Guruji's account of their visit, his observations and perceptions of the Mahatma (great soul). When I'd finished the chapter I closed the book and got on with my morning. I promise you it wasn't until hours later, when the sun was fully up and I had NPR radio on, that I learned that today was Gandhi's birthday.

As miracles go it's not parting the Red Sea, I know - but I ask you, what are the odds that a book I've been chipping away at for three weeks is gonna lead me to a chapter about a particular person, on that particular person's birth date?

The experience gave me something new & unexpected to think about as I was out & about taking care of banking and post office stuff this morning.

Mohandas K. Gandhi
was born on October 2, 1869 and lived a long life leading India to it's independence from the British Empire through non-violent revolution.
He died on January 30, 1948 at age 78 of 3 bullets to the chest. As he lay dying, the Mahatma raised his arms toward his assassin in an expression of forgiveness.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mohandas K. Gandhi

No comments: