Tuesday, July 10, 2012

friends in high places

 Show me a high place and I'm goin' up there!


In New York. . .
The Empire State Building, the World Trade Center,
the Statue of Liberty.

In Key West, (where stuff isn't half that high). . .
the look-out tower over the shipwreck museum, the lighthouse and the La Concha Hotel.

I don't have a problem with heights (although before I start moving up, my progressive lens glasses have to come off - somehow they scramble my sense of balance).
And I don't have a fear of falling but it's that sudden stop at the bottom that bugs me a bit.

A couple of weeks ago, I was coming away from a lunch date at Finnegan's Wake Irish Pub (really good eats) on the corner of James Street and Grinnell and the multi-level parking lot across the street grabbed my eye. I don't remember how many levels it is (maybe 4 or 5) and it's surely not the highest height in Key West but, the top lot was "up there" and I had to go have a look; so off came my glasses, I hung 'em over the collar of the Green Parrot T-shirt I was wearing and I started climbing stairs.

What I found when I got up top of that high place were my two old friends; the broad blue sky and a view of the horizon.

 Looking East

Looking West

No comments: