Thursday, March 19, 2009

ft. zac blacksmith

These are the last few shots I wanted to set free from my recent series on Fort Zac.

I think the inter-play between shadow, light and the antique shapes give them an interesting still life value from an historical perspective.

. . .and, of course, while I was shooting these (and the other 30 not shown here) I couldn't get Longfellow's "Village Blacksmith" out of my head. . .
". . .Under a spreading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he, with large and sinewy hands;"
It was the first classical poem I had to memorize back in the 4th grade at St. Al's and it must've left a scar because, one way or another, I've always remembered it.

I imagine, unless you've got a gig at an historical re-enactment, there's not a lot of work for blacksmiths anymore. You can't shoe a Chevy, all the pots and pans are made by Corning or RevereWare and it doesn't seem like our government is planning to beat swords into plowshares anytime soon.

Anyway, my Fort Zac series was interesting to do and a real good long afternoon out under the sun over paradise. I think overall it turned out well.
You'll find the rest of the collection by way of the following links. . .
CIVIL WAR DAYS @ FORT ZACHARY TAYLOR
SEA GRAPES
THE MIRROR MEDITATION MOVEMENT
LYING IN THE SHADE LIKE A LAZY DOG

No comments: