Wednesday, June 2, 2010

keys congress

An avalanche of sound was in the wind. It pushed the memory button in my brain; Something I'd experienced on Montauk Point or Cape Cod?

A gathering of gulls on their secluded roost; squawking, laughing and whining and squawking some more to shout each other down.

So familiar. . .
I closed my eyes and listened longer to the cacophony in a language I didn't understand. No rhythm or rhyme, no quality of tone, no harmony; Just the mad chaos of mindless noise.

Eyes still closed, a picture began to form in my mind and all at once the recognition came to me. It was as though I were watching C-SPAN 2 and it's gavel to gavel coverage of Congress.

I opened my eyes and yes, there she was, Pigeon Pelosi; Center stage at the Dias holding court in an ocean of mindless chatter. Unable or unwilling to bring or maintain order. The ruckus reigned supreme until, as though a recess bell had been rung, the flock at once scattered.

Now it was "every man for himself" each competing against the other for the satisfaction of their own best interests.

No comments: