Thursday, November 13, 2008

blue moon

While I was riffling through yesterday's stock of fine photography, I came across this one that, for a minute, I honestly didn't remember taking. But soon enough I remembered that, just a few blocks from the house, the foreground silhouette of a tree, a haze diffused moon and a wisp of cloud lit by the moonlight sparked that "absent friends" feeling I get at this time of year for the fall season in the northeast.
This is the only time of year that I miss my old home and it occurs to me in a sappy "Rip Van Winkle" kind of way. Sure, the leaves of mountain sides of trees turning color is a sight to die for but the nights too, with just that hint of damp nip in the still air always brought me back the distant thunder of gnomes rolling at nine-pins.

No comments: