Wednesday, March 17, 2010

if you've seen a mount of sea foam

Doing some of my history research thing, I came across this and thought it was just. . .
Well, you decide for yourself.

If You've Seen A Mount Of Sea Foam - Verse V

If you've seen a mount of sea foam,
it is my verse you have seen.
My verse is a mountain and is a fan of feathers.
My verse is like a dagger at whose handle a flower grows.
My verse is a spout which flows a sparkling coral water.
My verse is a gentle green and also a flaming red.
My verse is a deer wounded,
seeking forest cover for help.
My verse pleases the brave.
My verse is brief and sincere,
with all the strength of the steel with which
the sword will appear.

and you know how something always gets lost in translation, so here's the original. . .

Si Ves Un Monte De Espumas - Verso V

Si ves un monte de espumas,
Es mi verso lo que ves,
Mi verso es un monte, y es
Un abanico de plumas.

Mi verso es como un puñal
Que por el puño echa flor:
Mi verso es un surtidor
Que da un agua de coral.

Mi verso es de un verde claro
Y de un carmín encendido:
Mi verso es un ciervo herido
Que busca en el monte amparo.

Mi verso al valiente agrada:
Mi verso, breve y sincero,
Es del vigor del acero
Conque se funde la espada.

written in 1891 by Jose Marti, 1853-1895

No comments: