Thursday, March 18, 2010

mandala-mania

Sometimes the screamingly obvious gets right by me.
I'll be pondering along on a puzzle or problem in ignorant bliss, never suspecting there might be a hole in the soul of my thought processes.
But, by and by a light always comes on, I get a clue and the previously overlooked obvious is in my face,
up close and personal.
. . .Makes you want to say, "duh!"

So early last week I got interested in mandalas, beautifully elaborate pieces of artwork that have spiritual significance in the Hindu and Buddhist traditions.
In the Tibetan, Vajrayana flavor of Buddhism, they're developed by monks as fragile sandpaintings that, once completed, are left to weather the elements or are purposely destroyed. (The intention in mandala creation is same as with any creative effort. The real benefit to the creator is in the process rather than the product and in the doing, the aspirant creates a sacred space that helps focus the mind
in meditation.)


Anyway, there I was engrossed in a sort of "mandala-mania" for a couple of days.
I was creating and coloring and contemplating mandalas for hours at a time until, at some point, I had one of my
"moments of hmmm. . ."

". . .Doing these things seems so damned familiar. I'll bet I've done them before; probably in a previous incarnation. No wonder I've always wanted to travel to Tibet. . ."

Just then the phone rang. I turned in my chair, picked up the phone and looked at the wall to my left. . .
"duh!"

These are a few of what's left of a series of 30 acrylic abstracts I painted a few years ago. I'd spend hours or days at a time, usually outdoors, creating expressions of the vibrant colors and energy I felt (and still feel) are the essence of living life in the Keys.
The great vibe for me on this series was in the doing, my porch became something of a sacred space and I remember commenting to a yogi friend of mine at the time, that each painting was a two day meditation.

Sounds like "mandala-mania" all over again. . .

"The Dance", acrylic on canvas 11" x 14" - SOLD

"Four-Eyed Jack", acrylic on canvas 18" x 24" - PLEASE BUY ME

"Dancing in Havana", acrylic on canvas 24" x 36" - SOLD

"Diamond Jim", acrylic on canvas 26" x 26" - PLEASE BUY ME

"Walk in the Sun", acrylic on canvas 18" x 24" - SOLD

"Sea Creature", acrylic on canvas 30" x 40" - PLEASE BUY ME

"Metamorphosis", acrylic on canvas 50" x 50" - SOLD

"Ant Mary", acrylic on canvas 48" x 20" - PLEASE BUY ME

"Rooster, Rooster", acrylic on canvas 11" x 14" - SOLD

2 comments:

mia57 said...

love the art work! how do I go about buying one??

Arthur Winstanley said...

That's easy. please send me an e-mail: artwinstanley@bellsouth.net & thanks so much.