Friday, December 5, 2008

recurring regatta

I've been drawing pictures both professionally and for pleasure for a really long time.

"yankee clipper", watercolor on hotpress

It's really been a bit more involved than that but, at this point in my career, after a rollercoaster ride of lean and flush years, degrees in design, long stints in creative and art direction for the Fortune 500, a decade as the owner/operator of an advertising agency and all the years of freelancing I've done since moving to the Keys, it all seems to boil down to an unpretentious, one sentence resume. . . 

"I draw pictures for a living."

"western union", colored pencil on cotton rag

All along the way, a recurring subject has been sailboats.

"smooth sailing", digital illustration

No matter what else was going on, no matter what my "professional title" might have been, no matter which medium I happened to be working in - I've always come back around to sailboats.

"sunset and sails", acrylic on canvas

Even before I ever got out on the water, I've been subject to "sail consciousness" and always figured it was the influence of a previous lifetime.

"ghost ship", pen & ink on illustration board

So when I opened the gallery "Art-on -Ashe" a couple of years ago, it was impossible to not include a fleet of sailing vessels.

"saturn, mars, moon and mind", digital illustration

These are some of the boats I've got hanging on the walls as part of the current collection and I thought you'd enjoy a look at them.

"pride of the fleet", watercolor on coldpress

If you happen to fall in love with any of them and want one for your very own, I can make framed museum quality prints available. Just drop me a e-mail and we'll work it out.

No comments: